5 Foods That Whiten Your Teeth NaturallyApr 15 2014
Having white teeth is becoming more accessible with improvement in teeth whitening technology and more widespread knowledge and practice of good dental hygiene habits. Many people adjust their diets to stay away from foods that are known to discolor or stain teeth so that they can see stronger signs of whitening; however, most people don’t know that there also foods that you can include in your diet to whiten your teeth naturally.
- Apples. These delicious fruits help scrub stains off of your teeth with every bite and are high in malic acid, an ingredient used in some toothpastes.
- Pineapple. Pineapple is one of the few foods that naturally contains an element called bromelain that shows cleansing properties. Many stain-fighting toothpastes take advantage of these properties so you can get a natural dose from this tropical fruit.
- Broccoli. Raw broccoli can act as an effective, natural toothbrush with all of its scrubbing ‘bristles’. If you get any little green bits stuck between your teeth, wash it out with water and think of it as floss that is deliciously cleaning away. It also is high in iron which can help build up the surface of your teeth against stains and cavities.
- Cheese. Dairy foods are high in calcium and phosphorous which, like the iron in broccoli, can help protect your teeth.
- _Strawberrie_s. Strawberries have many similar qualities to apples and share the positive effects of malic acid. Additionally, they have antioxidants and vitamin C that can keep your mouth healthy. Bacteria is less common in a healthy mouth and your saliva can help polish up and protect your teeth with less to combat in the process.