Halloween Candy and Your Teeth: Is it Really Worth it?Oct 11 2017
Before you start in on your kids' Halloween candy this year, you should know that all of that sweetness has its costs. Sure, it tastes good, but what damage is it doing? First off, when the bacteria in your mouth metabolize the sugar, they produce acid--20 minutes worth. That is how enamel is destroyed. As if that weren't enough, if the candy is sticky, it stays around for even longer, producing a continuous stream of tooth-decaying action.
Here are some tips to minimize the negative impacts of a sweet tooth during this tantalizing time of year:
- Eat candy and other snacks all at once instead of multiple times of day and then brush right afterwards. This minimizes the contact your teeth have with the acid that is produced.
- Give your teeth a good brush and floss after sticky treats to remove all of the sugary residue.
- Eat foods high in fiber to detoxify your body after you indulge.
Lastly, have a plan to get rid of Halloween candy at some point. The last thing you want is to have your children hiding an unending stash of sugar to decay their teeth year-round.Request Appointment